Saturday, June 4, 2011

Another Year Older!

Yay for birthdays and sweet friends that make these days special! Yesterday was my birthday and a great one at that. I didn’t get to see my family or have 22 candles, but my fellow teammates definitely showed me love and what it means to have an African birthday party!
This last week has been one to remember and praise God for. Alyssa and I had many one on ones with women from Sunny Side Res Hall and grew in prayer, learning to trust God to move in hearts. God is faithful and strong, even when we are not and is committed to his purpose of reaching the nations with the Good News. Kundai, a first year studying at Witz, professed Christ yesterday as she said she heard Him knocking for some time and finally quit giving Him the cold shoulder. Kundai related to the memory verse from last week as she is one that is always sick. Again, praise God he did not come for the healthy who have it all together, but for us…sinners. Kundai is from Zimbabwe. Pray that the Gospel or Good News has fallen on good soil (Mark 4:3-8) and that a new network of believers will come from this one girl, who at 17 years of age was crucified with Christ, that she may no longer live but Christ will live through her. (Galatians 2:20)
My mom informed me that some are wondering what I am actually doing here doing a normal week so thanks mom for helping me out with what I haven’t informed all of you with! I am on campus at Witz University Monday Through Friday from 1:30pm until at least 9pm. During this time I am meeting women in the common area called the Matrix or hanging out with girls from Sunny Side Residential Hall. Once a week at 10:30am we have a training time called Ministry Training and once, also at 10:30am, we have Discipleship Group where the 11 women get together for perspective, reflection of what God has been teaching us in his Word, and also what we have learned from the book we are reading this summer called Humility. We have other various meetings and trainings, but they may only take place once a month or every other week. As you can see, a large amount of my time is spent with the South Africans on the campus and engaging them with spiritual conversations. I feel that the women of South Africa are very spiritual, eager to talk about God, and overall interested in my personal story of how I came to know Jesus personally.
The Good News, again, isn’t good because of anything we have done or said or prayed but centrally because it brings life to a fallen world. Please continue praying for me and also the team, as many have caught a cold, sore throat and/or cough.  Pray for a camp we are sponsoring at the beginning of July as students start committing and deciding when they will be going home for their winter break. The theme of the camp is Unashamed which comes from the verse Romans 1:16, I am not ashamed for the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes… The camp will be from July 5th through the 7th! Thanks and God Bless J

No comments:

Post a Comment